Glenfiddich 18 is from Glenfiddich’s core range. Matured in a mix of Oloroso sherry and bourbon casks in what can only be described as the classic “Glenfiddich Style” – a carefully crafted balance between the sweetness of the sherry casks and the depth of bourbon oak barrels.
Nose: A grainy nose tickle, with a punch of alcohol behind it. This resolves (especially with a little time resting in the glass) into honeycomb and dried apricot. Cold baklava and cherry syrup, with a hint of orange sherbet. A little green grass or herbal tinge – surprising after 18 years in the cask! The wood is not pronounced, although there is a telltale whiff of sherry. A dash of water wakes up this slumbering beauty, and the fiery nose intensifies. Along with it comes firm red stone fruits, sour green plums, and raspberry jam.
Body: Medium and mouth-filling, but not particularly full or oily.
Palate: A nutty fieryness upfront. Hazelnuts and pecans. A thin layer of jammy fruits and red currants. Malty cereal and orange-blossom honey. The dash of water releases some younger fruit notes, like the aforementioned raspberry jam and green plum. In fact, with the hazelnuts and cereal, there is a suggestion of nut butter-and-jelly sandwiches. Awesome!
Finish: Medium-length and warming. More nuttiness in the throat. The hazelnuts particularly. The added water yields a longer back-of-the-tongue finish, with a ghost of strawberry hard candies.
Awards for Glenfiddich 18
- Gold – Liquid Gold Award – 2014 – Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible
- Gold Outstanding – Scotch Single Malt – Speyside – 2014 – IWSC
- Silver – Single Malt Scotch – 13 to 19 Yrs – 2013 – San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- Master – Speyside Single Malts 13-18yo – 2014 – The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business)
- Gold – Scotch Single Malt – Speyside – 2017 – IWSC
- Gold – Speyside Single Malts 13-18yo – 2013 – The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business)
- Silver Outstanding – Scotch Single Malt – Speyside – 2013 – IWSC
- Gold – Speyside Single Malts 13-18yo – 2015 – The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business)
- Gold – Distillers’ Single Malts between 13 and 20 years old – 2014 – International Spirits Challenge
- Silver – Speyside Single Malts 13-18yo – 2018 – The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business)
- Silver – Speyside Single Malts 13-18yo – 2013 – The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business)
What some of our whisky enthusiast friends have said about Glenfiddich 18
Quote 1 “This little beauty will put a smile on your face no doubt about it. It’s a great dram for any whisky lover, but the real beauty of it is its delicate complexity. Some of the many notes have to be searched for such as the light dusting of cacao just before the finish. Yet they are all there without dominating the others. In a word, the fair price you won’t be disappointed. Sip it, roll it over your gums and enjoy.”
Quote 2 “This is like the American sports car of bourbon. Not all the bells and whistles of exotic rides but good grief, performance at a fraction of the cost! Don’t need to make any excuses for this one, it stands on its own. Big corn-toffee punch with hints of citrus. Not super complex but enough to make you scratch your head on the pricing. By the way, adding water brings out different notes which is always a good sign.”
Quote 3 “Glenfiddich 18 has elevated my appreciation of Speysides to a whole new level. In fact, this whisky is dangerously delectable and has become my go-to for a nice evening dram with or without a cigar. There is nothing I can add to the well-documented notes on the nose and palette that hasn’t already been said.”