Yellow Spot Whiskey
This is the second addition to the ‘Spot’ range of Irish whiskeys, which contains the famous Spot Pot Still Whiskey. The Yellow Spot, the name was derived from Mitchell’s practice of marking their maturing casks of whiskey with a mark or daub of coloured paint to determine the ageing potential of the whiskey. Blue Spot was an 8-year-old, Green Spot a 10 year, Yellow Spot a 12-year-old and finally Red Spot was a 15-year-old.
The Yellow Spot is a single pot still Irish whiskey which has been matured in three types of cask: American Bourbon cask, Spanish Sherry butts and Spanish Malaga casks for a sweeter flavour. This additional wine influence adds a bit of complexity and sweetness not found in Green Spot; giving it additional dimension and complexity.
Nose: There are masses of fleshy stone fruit on the nose, especially peach and apricot with hints of sherried dried fruit and Bourbon cask vanilla.
Palate: The palate is equally fruity with a substantial body and a velvety texture.
Finish: The finish is long and sweet with notes of marzipan and dried apricots.
Overall: This is very different from the Green Spot we all know and love with a delicious sweetness to it and a firmer body.
Awards for Yellow Spot 12 Year Old
- Gold – Irish Single Pot Still – Super-Premium – 2019 – The Irish Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business)
- Gold – Irish Single Pot Still – 2013 – The Irish Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business)
- Bronze – Irish Pot Still Whiskey 12 Years and Under – 2014 – World Whiskies Awards
- Bronze – Premium – 2013 – Malt Maniacs Awards
- Gold – Irish Whiskey – 2014 – Wizards of Whisky Awards
- Gold Outstanding – Irish Whiskey – Single Pot Still – 2013 – IWSC
- Silver – Irish Whiskey – Single Pot Still – 2014 – IWSC