Johnnie Walker Blue Label
Johnnie Walker Blue Label is the rarest whisky from this world famous brand – only one in 10,000 casks makes the grade. It’s rich and slightly smoky, made up of some very old malt and grain Scotch whiskies. Probably the most famous super-premium blend. In a word, Blue Label’s bold, multi-layered palate and silky delivery ensure that it sits unchallenged at the top of the Johnnie Walker pile.
Nose: Smooth, silky cereal, syrupy flapjacks, polished oak. Dessicated coconut, then other nutty notes: unsalted peanut, brazil nut.
Palate: A silky caress. Unexpectedly strong spicy entry, but always honeyed and rounded by some toasty oak. The honeyed malt is beautifully interwoven around the venerable grain, which must be absolutely ancient.
Finish: A perfectly-integrated slow fade of the palate. Mouthwatering grain, and the honey and spices dwindle slowly. Extremely long but still very gentle.
Comment: The daddy of premium blends divides fans as to whether or not it merits its price tag, but there is definitely something esoteric about the basically flawless balance on display here. Smoother than a hot-buttered, freshly-shaven diplomat in velvet trousers.
Awards for Johnnie Walker Blue Label
- Master – Blended: Super Premium – 2014 – The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business)
- Silver – Blended: Super Premium – 2013 – The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business)
- Silver – Scotch Whisky – Deluxe Blend – 2013 – IWSC
- Double Gold – Blended Scotch – 2013 – San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- Winner – Best Blended Scotch – 2013 – San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- Gold – Blended – No Age Statement – 2018 – The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business)
- 2nd Place – Best Blended Whisky – 2015 – International Whisky Competition
- Gold – Scotch Whisky – Deluxe Blend – 2014 – IWSC
- Silver Outstanding – Scotch Whisky – Deluxe Blend – 2017 – IWSC
What some of our whisky enthusiast friends have said about Johnnie Walker Blue Label
Quote 1 “Blue is expensive but great! This is by far my favorite bottle of all time. Over the years I have drank quite a few of these, mainly sharing with people that enjoy an experience in flavor profiles. Some day I will find extra coin to relive the feeling again.”
Quote 2 “A delicious infusion of aged whiskies, some that no longer exist, and who’s legacy will remain in this bottle. Fresh fruity notes with a smokey tinge highlighted by a peppery splash of honey and muscatel. All in all, it’s definitely a classic to the most discerning scotch drinker. Nectar of the Gods.”
Quote 3 “I figured that there are two types of whisky lovers out there: those who love JW Blue and those who hate it. Count me among those happy enough to appreciate this incredibly exquisite blend.”