Deanston Virgin Oak
25% cheaper than the UK price of £38 (¥331.04)
Deanston Virgin Oak is made with young whisky which has been finished in brand new oak casks from Kentucky. Always a pleasure to have Deanston single malt Scotch whisky around, as they are certified by the Organic Food Association and power their distillery using hydro energy, so you can always feel good about the delicious dram in your hand.
Nose: Fresh citrus, honeyed barley and a subtle hint of smoke. Crème brulee. White bread. Cinnamon. Ginger. Pepper and dust. A little bit of orange and lemon. Oaky, yes…but clean cereals too. Both creamy and tangy. So many pleasant notes
Palate: Toffee sweets pop up first, followed by a dollop of cream and oak notes.
Finish: Oak spices on the finish.
Overall: Well made, the new oak doesn’t take over the whisky at all, which is always a risk with these casks.
Awards for Deanston Virgin Oak
- Gold – Highlands & Islands NAS – 2018 – The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business)
- Gold – Highlands & Islands NAS – 2014 – The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business)
- Silver – Highlands & Islands Premium – 2015 – The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business)
- Silver – Single Malt Scotch – to 12 Yrs – 2013 – San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- Silver – Scotch Single Malt – Highland – 2017 – International Wine & Spirit Competition
- Silver – Scotch Single Malt – Highland – 2014 – International Wine & Spirit Competition
- Silver – Scotch Single Malt – Highland – 2013 – International Wine & Spirit Competition
What some of our whisky enthusiast friends have said about Deanston Virgin Oak
Quote 1 “New to scotch, wife bought me fancy scotch glass for Christmas sooo. Started with pretty expensive scotch and worked my way down. Liked how the box described deanston virgin oak and love it…don’t need to try others and look forward to my bedtime drink most nights.”
Quote 2 “Outstanding value. Very well made scotch. The people who complain about this scotch not being “smooth” (a horrible descriptor that should be struck from any self-respecting whisky enthusiast’s vocabulary) are the same folks that overpay for Johnnie Walker and Macallan. This is great scotch at a great price.”
Quote 3 “I bought 4 bottles of Virgin Oak thinking very reasonably priced. Surprise, the BEST TASTING single malt I have tasted. I drink only single malts and tried several ver the years. Visited the distillery before 10 on a Sunday last May and didn’t get a tasting. That tweaked my interest, thank goodness! You make fine whiskey.”